Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Warm

9/13/11
WARM
Today was warm. With my coffee –warm, sitting in the sun-warm, feeling how both my body and soul are warm. I am in the perfect place to appreciate where I really abide.
To admire something beautiful with wonderment is part of every day, for me. We go through the day forgetting to ‘look’ and ‘admire’ those things that can amaze and warm the heart.
As I sit sipping my coffee, ready to recite my morning prayers of awareness and promises for the day, I see shining strings of spider webs stretching across the beams into the plants. As they glistened in the sun and waved back and forth, I remind myself of a saying that we often hear “You can’t get there from here”. And I think “sure you can – just build a bridge, spin a web, jump higher and further. The spider seems to be able to do the unthinkable from our human perspective and while working all night to get someplace of interest. ( Sometimes, positiveness goes beyond positiveness).It could be that the spider just wants the pleasure of the journey, with no agenda once arriving or it could be the spider wants to search for a new place to reside, live and feast on something out of ordinary and take on a new perspective in life. And no doubt, whether the spider is just along for the ride, or intends to take on a new place, a new perspective in life is the result.  Accident or Intent – we learn a lesson and experience life to carry on and grow.
A few weeks ago during a storm, one of my plants was blown off the porch ledge onto the deck. The pot broke and soil scattered. The plant, a cactus called crown of thorns, lay on its’ side for a few days. Once I found the plant, I picked it up, splashed it with water and set it in a larger pot. The pot was too big. The plant leaned sideways for more days, almost a 45 degree angle. I splashed it was a bit of water. Days later, with coffee in hand, I picked the plant up and placed it upright in another container. It was time to look closer and admire beauty. I didn’t think it would come from this plant. But in amazement, the plant had twisted itself over the weeks to reach for the sun. With gnarled stems that twisted in quirky ways for a cactus generally straight and lean, I took notice of the blooms on top. No matter what, the plant’s desire was to move to the sun, receive daily life from something that we probably take for granted so often.
I think that no matter what we go though in our lives, we move towards the sun. On a day we cannot see the sun, we forget it is there and remind ourselves that it is not ‘sunny’ that day. But the sun is there and will return. The sun is there on cloudy days, and even in the dark of night, often seen in the moon, reminding us that is it there. On the nights where no moon is present to reflect the sun’s light, we are to hold still, breathe deep and walk slow, because we know it will come back for us in just a matter of hours. Do not worry.
Never are we without what makes us grow.

LEM3 9/13/11

No comments:

Post a Comment